Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Andi's Art Show

Okay, so I messed up when I was trying to post this. Below is a picture of Andi at her art show. Her show was entitled "Strength". Here is a description of how the collection was started, taken from her promotional flyer.
Last year on my birthday, Noah Harris, a young man I went to high school with was killed in Iraq. Both of my brother-in-laws are also in the Army, and have been stationed in Iraq. When I heard the news about Noah, I told my sister and watched her collapse onto the pavement outside of a restaurant in downtown Ellijay because of two reasons. One, Noah was her friend. Two, her husband was in the same unit as Noah and we did not know who the other soldier killed in the explosion was. After a very hard few hours, we found out that his name was William Long, and my respect and heartfelt sympathy continue to go out to his family.
At this time, I started watching my family, my friends, and my community. The outreach and love that came to my family and Noah's family was tremendous. I can't even go grocery shopping without being asked how Andy and Ben are. Because of this, I wanted to do something to show the strength of not only the soldiers, but of their families and friends who stay behind knowing that they may never get to see their father, brother, sister, lover, or friend again.
This is the story of emails, phone calls, prayer meetings, tears, homecomings, birthdays, first steps, and above all else, the love that it takes for these men to know that when they come home, it will be a home that is worth fighting for. To Andy and Ben, I love you both so much and I couldn't have been blessed with better men to call my brothers.
I wanted to call this show "Strength". It is about strength. Strength of men, strength of mothers, fathers, family and friends and I want everyone to know how I appreciate that strength that has been shown for us all.

The show was wonderful, Andi. Thank you.
Love,
Allie

No comments: